So today is Sussex Day. I thought it only appropriate to do a blog of my favourite things about East Sussex. In many ways I feel more of a pull here than I do my home county of North Yorkshire (but don’t tell them that!). I’ve only lived here for just over a year, but I’ve been visiting for about 14 years.
It feels like home and we are all really glad we made the move. So, here are my top five things I love about East Sussex (in no particular order because I couldn’t really choose a favourite):
1. Battle – I love the shops and tea rooms and the whole town has a feeling of history about it.
2. Hastings Old Town and seafront – again, I love the quirky shops in the Old Town and the art galleries in the a High Street. And who doesn’t love the sea? Even on a cold day it is guaranteed to make me smile.
3. All the beautiful historic places – Bodiam Castle and Batemans are two of my favourite National Trust properties. Both very handy for us to have a quick stroll around either at the weekend or after school.
4. Bexhill seafront – I just love the seaside! Bexhill is great because it’s a bit quieter than Hastings which makes it good for scootering or cycling for my four-year-old. She loves the water fountains at the De La Warr pavilion and the play equipment on the front. She can also lose many an hour in Egerton Park.
5. The green – many people think of the south as overpopulated but a drive around rural East Sussex proves that is not the case. My Saturday afternoons are often spent driving through little villages and hamlets as we go cross country to various cricket matches with my husband. They nearly all have village greens and the area surrounding them is beautiful.